Change of visa for employment

Change of status of residence (visa)

The biggest difference between hiring a foreign national and hiring a Japanese national is the change of status of residence (visa). If you are already working for a Japanese company and have a status of residence that allows you to work in Japan, you do not need to change your status of residence if your work matches the scope of your status of residence. As an example, an IT engineer basically has a "Technical/Humanities/International Business Visa" status, so if he/she works as a programmer or designer again at his/her new workplace, there is no need to change his/her visa status since his/her job description fits the "Technical/Humanities/International Business Visa". The same can be said for salespeople who will work as salespeople again at their new employer. All you need to do is submit a "Certificate of Eligibility for Employment" to the Immigration Bureau.

Cases in which a change of status of residence is required are those in which the status of residence is changed from "College Student" or "Family Resident" which does not allow full-time employment to "Technical/Humanities/International Services" or other statuses that allow employment. Most of the people we introduce to our clients fall into this category.

In order to change your status of residence to one that allows you to work, you must gather the following documents in person (proxy applications are also acceptable) and submit them to the nearest regional immigration office.

Documents to be prepared by the foreign national being hired

Application for Change of Status of Residence
You can download the form from the Ministry of Justice link below.

2. status of residence and passport

Photo (*size 40mm x 30mm, taken within the last 3 months)

4. certificate of graduation (or certificate of expected graduation)

5. academic transcript

6. curriculum vitae

7. resume (not required but preferred if available) ------

8. letter of reasons for application (A4 size, free format)

9. certificate of Japanese Language Proficiency Test

Documents to be prepared by the company

1. Contract of Employment (Notice of Working Conditions) Copy

*The working conditions must be described.
*It is necessary to add the sentence "However, it is a prerequisite for employment that the applicant obtains a status of residence that enables him/her to work. must be added. The document must have your company's name, seal (personal seal), and signature of the applicant. 2.

2. a copy of the statutory registration statement such as the statement of withholding tax for the previous year (with the stamp of the tax office)

3. company brochure/information sheet

4. a copy of the most recent financial report (balance sheet and profit and loss statement)
Original Certificate of All Historical Matters

*For listed companies, it is not necessary to submit 2, 3, 4, and 5, but only the document proving listing (quarterly report).

------Not required but preferable to submit if available ------

6. Letter of Reason for Employment (A4, any format. (A4, free format, corporate seal (your personal seal) required) Original

*Please describe the relevance of the applicant's knowledge, ability, education and experience to the work to be done, the importance and high level of the work to be done, and the applicant's good character)

7. List of foreign national employees

After completing the examination by the regional immigration office and being approved for status of residence to work, you will be required to pay 4,000 yen.

About the article

If you have any questions about this article, please contact us at the following e-mail address

We can also refer you to an administrative scrivener.

*The above information is based on our experience in assisting foreign job seekers to change their status of residence and our inquiries to the General Information Center for Foreign Residents. Please contact the Immigration Bureau for detailed confirmation of the contents as we are not qualified as an administrative scrivener and cannot take legal responsibility.

back to the list